Archive For 'January, 2015'Friday, January 30, 2015 at 5:13 PM
Meighan desert is a unique ecosystem. One of the most important aspects of this uniqueness is the Meighan wetland which has a high biodiversity. The wetland is located 15 km north-east of Arak, and 1670 meters above sea level. It is the most important home of migrant common cranes, Grus grus, in Iran, and also eastern Mediterranean Sea due to the problems that they face in other wetlands in Iran. There are more than 130 species of birds, including ducks, flamingo, Larus minitus, gray crane, greylag goose, etc. The area of the wetland changes from 10,000ha to 12,000ha depending on its water inputs.
At present, 73 plant species are recognized, most of them are halophytes due to the salinity of the area. 10 of them are verified by IUCN, two of them are endangered, and eight of them are vulnerable. The most important specie is a local plant, called Qarah-Daq. Its most important property is sand stabilization.
Some of the most important threatening factors of the area are as follows:
· Construction of more than 40 dams in front of the catchments of the area, with no regard to the water rights;
· Construction of more than 1800 wells in the area during the last 40 years;
· Unsustainable mineral extraction by the Mineral Factory;
· Construction of a road at the center of the wetland by the Mineral Factory, which has divided the wetland into two separated parts;
· Hunting the migrant birds, causing disturbance to the area;
· Unsustainable grazing;
· Local dust issues;
· Lack of comprehensive management for protecting the wetland.
Friday, January 30, 2015 at 2:18 PM
The 2nd of February, World Wetlands Day, is nearly here, and that is also the deadline for voting for wetlands that you know, as part of WWN's award process. Although we no longer plan to award the Globes, we will use the information from the voting to select case studies for use at the Ramsar COP, and to produce a publication on Civil Society's view of wetland conservation worldwide. So please continue to vote! So far we have leading sites at Las Pinas, the Philippines, and lake Meighan, Iran, with well over 500 votes each!
Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 5:03 PM
Don't forget to celebrate World Wetlands Day, this 2nd of February - you can find out about the tools, resources ad activities on offer at the Ramsar Website. Remember it's also the deadline for voting for our WWWN wetland globe awards.